withpotatoes do it better

Group
    Special Wizard
    Spolliciometro
    +381

Status
    this is a positive sign
    1993's | ex hufflpeuff | rebel(la) | psychowat | ma anche psycho e basta
    «you know,» Idem Withpotatoes was sitting on the couch of her st mungo’s office, hands clasped on her lap. Slowly, she rolled her eyes over the guy standing by the door, and cracked a grin in him direction. «staring at the hands of the clock won’t make time running faster» Idem didn’t know. She wet her lips, leaning her head to explaining her humble opinion. «won’t it?» barely sighed, blinking to Stiles. He mostly worked at school, but is wasn’t rare finding him at the hospital; I wish I could say they didn’t discuss their private case, but would be a lie: they need, in a deep way hardly understanding by people who didn’t work in their medical area, to face each other with that - they couldn’t help it. They exchanged advices and supported each other when things were too bad, or when patients began to be violent and out of control. «I know a few people could actually argue with that» Idem offered him a brightest and smart smile, her chin grabbed between her fingers. For once, she knew she was right: there were individuals, like Ashley or Helianta, that could manipulate time at their pleasure, bending and distorting it in way that couldn’t be possible – and they made more than possible: they actually did, more than once. He shrugged, still standing arm crossed by the door, and huffed in front of her words shaking his hand on air in front of him. «and I’ve a billion people by my side; not to mention that you» he put a finger on her. «don’t have that power. I guess? Did I miss something?» Idem smirked and twitched her nose, shrugged her elbow and sit more uncomfortable than a few minutes earlier. «maybe» argued, bowing her eyebrows with an intentional look at him. «I’d be an amazing time traveler. I could be, I don’t know, the perfect companion for the Doctor. IN FACT» she raised her voice, crossing arms around her tiny chest. «I might be, and you wouldn’t know that» Stiles raised in his hands as a peace offering, a crooked smile on his lips. «you’re right. My bad. Are you the newest doctor’s companion?» Idem shook her head, sliding on the couch to make way for him to take place. «no» she frowned, pouting at him. «not yet» she clarified, crossing her ankles and braiding fingers over her chin. «and I’m not a chronokinetic, neither. but it doesn’t mean nothing. I don’t care if i…» it was a twisted and pathetic argument, she knew very well. Most of people pointed her out she was an hopeless dreamer, that her optimism and unicorns won’t let her be the person she needed to be - in their world, in their dark and cruel time. But it didn’t matter, in her sight, how many people condemned her way to live. They didn’t understand, and she couldn’t help them understanding: it was a deadlock.
    It always been a deadlock, dealing with Idem Withpotatoes. She used to.
    Idem smiled to Stiles, shaking her head like it wasn’t a big deal. «if I can’t. I still have to try» and in the moment she said that, she realized they weren’t talking about time travel anymore. It wasn’t unusual that Idem and Stiles ended up starting serious conversation between them; no one else could take them thoughtful, so they found a way to collapse their own weirdness. He shrugged again, arm crossed tightly when stared at her. «know that feel» she smiled, recognizing in him caramel eyes the same, unbreakable, hope: Stiles and Idem were different, but somehow their differences were similar. «I don’t believe in giving up things» Stiles laughed nervously, hands shaking in air without making a real sense. «I DO» he nodded and smirked in her direction, earned him a dirty look from Idem’s blue eyes. «but…» Stiles scratched his eyebrow, wetting his thin lips, returning to stare at her with a confident, broken, smile. «it’s nice you do. I mean, it’s not… you know» Unfortunately, she knew. It was a very hard time for people like her, misunderstood people like her - but it wasn’t an excuse for Idem to give himself up; quite the opposite, it was a glimmer of hope that everyone’s mind, sooner or later, accepted the reality as she knew it was.
    Men weren’t built for war. They born from love, and into love they were supposed to live.
    Not like that. Idem didn’t say louder, because she knew Stiles wouldn’t be ready for her point of view; he didn’t join the rebellion, and sharing her ideas with him might’ve been a very long shot. «you think is nice if a stare at the clock trying to running time?» Stiles, predictably, shrugged again. «something like that» Idem squeezed her lips, emphasizing the dimple on her right cheek. «you don’t give up neither, don’t try to fool me with your fake cynicism» she nudged gently in his chest, and Stiles frowned in her face. «I’m not- I’m not. STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT» «no» «sometimes, like this one, I find you extremely aggressive for the lovely face you have. It doesn’t fit right. Kinda very fuckin creepy» «LENGUAGE» «sorry. But It’s still disturbing» «you’re an ungrateful peanut» «I’ll take that as a compliment. And, by the way, that wasn’t the topic on the table» «I get distracted» it was her turn to shrug. She rolled her eyes to the clock, tapping her feet on the ground. «I hate stragglers» Idem whined, frowning herself into a bad mood. Stiles responded arching his eyebrows, a skeptical look through her. «well, I disapprove them» she felt she had to clarify, since she didn’t really hate anything at all. Phobos Campbell wasn’t known surely for his punctuality, and even though Idem knew it as well, she couldn’t believe he was later again. She hadn’t got a driver’s license, so she count on him for every ride; they never gone straight to their place, a lost kitten – or a unicorn’s shaped cloud – caught always their attentions on the way home, but tough neither of them had something to do, once home. They was easily entertained, what can I say.
    Idem heard the horn of the Phobos’ flying machine long before her cellphone starting vibrate alerting her of the several message Campbell sent her, and she was standing on her feet faster than Stiles could finish his sentence: «what the f-..irefly. what the firefly». «FINALLY. I gotta go» Idem started recover her stuff and looked out the window to shake her arms to say hello at his co-rebel, smiling ear to ear . Before leaving, she kissed every inch of Stiles’ huge head (-cit) and ignored his objections pretending to not hear them at all. She was out the door yet when stepped back in the office, a good long looked to Andrew. «punch me in the face» He frowned, his mouth open like it was about to say something. «I didn’t hear that. You said sponge me in the face? I don’t have any sponge» «I said punch» to make sense, Idem pinched her chins, showing him how pale they was. A rapid look at her reflection on the window was enough to make her aware of how Carried she seemed, and Idem didn’t like that at all. «I will not punch you, idem» «I challenge you» «you what? I did not punch you!» «C’MON, BRING IT ON» «idem, what the fuck» «please, stiles. If you don’t punch me, you’ll put me in an awkward situation» «awkward like…?» «like slam the door repeatedly with my face» «you… you’ve eaten that biscuits, right» Idem brushed nervously her green sweater, like she was in power to erase the proof of what she has done. «what biscuits» «idem, I said it to NOT EAT ‘EM» «…I get distracted. Again. C’mon, a little fist on my face won’t hurt too much» «I will not» «PLEASE STILES PLEASE I’m already lat- AH» well, he punched her – just like she asked- but he probably wasn’t the brighter at hand to hand’s lessons. «YOU PUNCHED ME!» «YOU ASKED ME!» «I didn’t mean like that!» she whined, trying to touch her lower bruised lip. «OH MY GOD I’M SO SORRY» «IT’S OKAY, MY BAD. STILL LOVE, COLLEAGUE. SEE YOU TOMORROW»
    And so was done.
    She practically flied down the stairs to reach the exit of the hospital, her flowered skirt swirled following her steps, but it was with her brightest and soft smile that she welcomed Phobos. «YOU MADE IT» it was always a priceless surprise that Phobos Campbell survived till the end of the day, and Idem was surely ready to celebrate that tiny, but felt, winning. «where are we going, captain?» Demanded, while she was taking place in the passenger seat.
    Idem knew that was always better ask than assume they went home. As far as she knew, he might had find the Legendary Flying Ford Anglia in the Forbidden Forest.
    It was always an adventure with Phobos Campbell in it.

You Sit And Stay I Don'T Obey // by ms. atelophobia

Edited by ‚soft boy - 4/2/2021, 12:00

2.     +2    

Group
    Inferius
    Spolliciometro
    +537

Status
    i have no idea what i'm doing
    you got this -- 29 y.o. | rebel scout | hand to hand master | ex huffle, still puff #wat
    «no way» he murmured, just an echo lost in the cloud.
    Nothing could have prepared Phobos Campbell for that, even in one hundred years – or in one thousand, or ten, or in a billion years. For sure, when he had finished his shift work a couple hours before, he didn’t expected such a tragedy – neither he did when he woke up that day, or when he toasted at the brand new year marrying two total strangers girls, or when he was born. And to think that, the same morning, he said to his little sister Phoebe that everything that day was going to be alright, verbatim. How could he has been so foolish? Once, a wise woman – his mother – said him that if someone says that something is gonna be fine, then is inevitable that it’ll go ending up in some kind of shit. But he was a teen, and he was stoned as fuck, so he didn’t really listen to what she was telling him. Or rather, he understood something like “if you eat maccaroni, you’ll become pepperoni” – still, at the rip old age of twenty-nine, he is frightened of maccaroni and their magical quality: he banished them from his home, and tried to apply the ban also in the headquarter in vain, and spread the word across the whole country (well, actually only at Hogwarts and in the Resistance base) -, so he didn’t really know. Actually, even if he had known how the Murphys’ law ruled their world, nothing could have been able to stop him from saying such a thing: by his point of view, everything was going fine, also and all above when it wasn’t true at all.
    It had to be like this.
    Hopeless optimist, Xavier had always known that never, in his and others lives, just a single thing has gone for good: everything, since he could remember, has gone worse and worse as the time passed by – and although any optimistic picture, it keeped on going like that. It was mostly for the aknowledge of this basic fact that he had to believe that things were going well, better day by day. Indeed, it was his job to think in this way, and the same one to make him think like this every day in his life - both his jobs, as a matter of fact. He was supposed to be a dreamer, a real believer, and in truth he was: he seriously thought that there was a way to fix everything, to fix the world itself and let it come back to the golden days as not just him, but all the rebels, dreamed about. His mission was to make people open their mind, pulling out the blinkers someone else put on them a long time before, washing away years of lies; it was the purpose of his entire existance to wake the masses up and make them realize that those wasn’t just dreams, or nightmares, but the truth.
    It was his assignment to let others became believers themselves, to make things go goddamn right – to help them, go goddamn right.
    Phobos wasn’t the kind of man who said “yo, everything is going to be okay, bruh!” like was instead saying “the roast beef is in the oven, i repeat, the roast beef is in the oven”: it was not just daily routine, untruths repeated at the end of his rope; he did really believe in what he boasted over and over again.
    He had to.
    That very afternoon, he could not think at a younger Phobos saying those specific words: nothing seemed to go for good. At all.
    Phobos ran his fingers through his brown beard, the elbow supported by his left hand. He stread ahead with his head down, no moving except for the pale green eyes leaping from the left to the right, and vice versa. Nothing could had make him move, right in that moment: he was so focused, like rarely happened – usually, when no pizza delivery service answered to his calls, or when he had to come up with something to say to Phoebe because she did something that she absolutely shouldn’t have done, but he did it before so he was in no position for a scolding -, that probably if he got stabbed standing still he would have noticed the knife in his flesh too late to do anything to survive, the blood flowing undisturbed to the ground, slipping over the sweatshirt and the jeans.
    Someone, or something, should have prevented him for similiar situation – and maybe there were someone, or something able to comply with this ungrateful job, but Campbell didn’t know this person or this… thing. It was not easy to understand, according to his concentrated face and the pensive index finger tapping on his lips, but Phobos was really desperate. So desperate, that he took his phone from his back pocket, starting to scroll his contacts list: it was pretty unusual of the hand-to-hand teacher to call for the backup, but he had no choice.
    Taken vision of his brother and sister’s name, Phobos Xavier Campbell decided to pass them by: Richard, probably, would have sent him to fuck himself, bluntly; Phoebe, furthermore, was at school – so, she couldn’t escape to help her father older brother, or most simply receive his call. Patrick and Keanu were to rule out by the start: the first one, would have worsen the already drastic situation; the second one, Phobos could actually hear his placid voice, could have suggest to take a tea to calm his nerve down. Also Idem: probably, she already wanted to kill him for his being late. He couldn’t call her.
    Besides, to be honest, he didn’t know if any of them had the skills to help.
    Xavier experienced an epiphany, as long as he kept on shrugging his list, and immediatly composed the number.
    «will, I’m in trouble» «yeah, you can say it»
    He knew it. He absolutely knew that William Barrow was his man: he had followed him since he made the Resistance one thing of all, staring at his back as long as he had been their leader. He was just a guy, but indipendently of his young age he always had a solution - it wasn’t that different, Phobos thought with the cellphone pressed to his ear. And before he even said a word about his situation, he already knew about it. What a man. «I was sleeping, you woke me up; you have definitely a problem, Campbell: me» «oh»
    Oh. Well, it wasn’t what Phobos expected, but whatever. «sorry dude, but it’s half past five in the evening, i thought you was-» «yeah, yeah, it’s okay… so what’s up, man?» Phobos smiled enthusiastically, even though his friend couldn’t actually see him. «everything okay, my friend! It’s been a rough day at work, to be honest, but not so bad; you should have come to school today, at lunch they have served-» «phobos, shut the hell up, please» As asked, he bit his lips, trying not to talk. «i meant: what’s your problem?» «oh» he repeated once again, feeling the frustrastion of his colleague through the phone. «well, it’s not so easy to say» he gasped: at least, it wasn’t so easy for him. «Suzanne is dead» he whispered, as like someone could murder him for saying that «WHAT THE FUCK MAN» «yeah, I- I don’t know what to do, I’m trying to bring her back to life but no way at all» «jesus christ phobos, had you killed that girl?» «I don’t know will, it was so unforeseen, I didn’t see that com- wait, what?» «wait what what «I asked it before» «this conversation has no sense» «I can’t understand» «phobos, listen straight to me» «I am» «have you fucking killed a girl?» «WHAT? Hell no, man» «did you found a bloody corpse on your way home?» «no, I haven’t» «so…»
    Phobos could almost see Barrow’s face, as his voice improved letter by letter, word by word. He clearly did a stupid, and it was too late to come back. Always too late. «who. The hell. Is. Suzanne.» The answer, it was so obvious that he couldn’t understand the anger in his friend’s voice. «Suzanne is my car, you know her» «I don’t wanna talk to you ever again» «WAIT DON’T GET OFF» He almost screamed, standing still in front of the open hood of his car. «I really need your help, she turned off herself like WOOAH» «like what?» «like WOOAH» Actually, the ex-hufflepuff didn’t know how to explain the tragic moment when the engine went off by itself, and send some random and explanatory noises seemed to be the perfect settlement. Apparently, it wasn’t like that.
    «does no one pass by the way so you can harass him instead of me?» «mh, I don’t really think so…» Phobos took a look around, sticking his head up to the sky to see if another flying car was on the patch. But he was in the woods, and he didn’t really know which woods, or how he got there. It was so easy, for Phobos Campbell, to lose the way. «no one passes by the woods, nowadays» «why are you in the woods?» «why not?» «why are we friends?» «for the alcohol, and the drugs, and so many other things I don’t want to list right now» «seems legit»
    Time passed, and following the inexperienced advices of Will – he had told him that he knew nothing about mechanic, but neither did Phobos -, he tried to do the impossibile. A.k.a., kinda nothing, for what it’s worth. Then, with a sleepy and tired voice, the ex-leader told him «i’m not a muggle-stuff scientist, but have you tried to turn the key?» Phobos stopped himself, fingers stiffened on the wheel as he took position on driver’s seat a few seconds before. «should have I?» «… yes?» «… hold on»
    Indeed, never ever since he got Suzanne happened to him that she died like that – he wasn’t licensed to drive, but despite the first difficulties, he was an excellent driver. Not once the car turned itself off, so… «oh, look, you were right» he noted, glad to see his baby ready to roar again – and forever, finger crossed. «dear god, we made it» «we really made it YOU’RE THE BEST, WILL» «don’t you ever call me again, we’re not friends any-» «I’ll get you some herb a friend of mine bought me» «call whenever you want, dude» «consider it done»

«YOU MADE IT» Phobos smiled nervously, but no less enthusiastic, as Idem Withpotatoes jumped in the car. «oh, you really have no idea» he said softly, turning on the ignition and starting up Suzanne. «sorry for being late» he apologized, straightening his hat and turning to the girl. «I got sidetrack- sweet child o mine, girl» he gasped, as he saw the bruise on her face. «what the heck happened to your cheekbone? Did you had a fight?» improbable, but Idem was full of surprise. «don’t you say» he started, tilting his head in her direction, faintly amused. «you went again against the wall with the fake mirror» he supposed, but also told, having a cheap laugh. Never of her, of course: always with her. Those incidents were one of the things Phobos Campbell most loved of the psychowitch, what make her such a peculiar fellow – and saying the truth, with her sweetness, one of the things that most make the two of them similiar eachother. «where are we going, captain?» «good question, my commander» – always a good question, by the way. Technically, they were always supposed to go home. Pratically, well…
    But that day, they had a real purpose - sort of, at least.
    «you know» spoiler alert: she probably didn’t know wat. «i heard about a meteorite on a collision course with the Earth» well, the informant was a drunk homeless, but who was Phobos to judge a poor man? No one. «so I searched for a shelter, just in case, you know…» he was thrilled, and a bit frightened. An anti-atomic refuge! What a time to be alive. «and I think I found something: today, my dear, we’re exploring»
    And as he said that, he saw it. It was beautiful – actually, it was just a door on the ground, but whatever. «can you see it?» he said, as he started to land on the ground.
    He was really ecstatic: he knew absolutely nothing about they’re going to do, but he knew a thing after all.
    It was going to be legendary.

Edited by livsnjutare; - 29/7/2017, 03:28

3.     +2    

Group
    Special Wizard
    Spolliciometro
    +381

Status
    this is a positive sign
    Mi rendo conto che per alcuni di voi potrebbe apparire scioccante, quindi vi consiglio, spassionatamente, di sedervi, ma: Idem Withpotatoes non era stupida. Era ingenua, sporcata d’innocenza come la più friabile delle foglie d’autunno. Voleva vedere del buono anche laddove costretta a scavare con dita tremule e pallide, ma non era una sciocca – o superficiale nella sua frivolezza, come il sorriso leggero ed i grandi, esageratamente grandi, occhi blu potevano lasciar erroneamente intendere ad una prima, distratta, occhiata. Non una stratega d’indole, certamente; non possedeva la malizia necessaria per farsi guidare in maniera apatica dalla logica – non avrebbe mai, Idem, scavalcato le emozioni per travalicare nel pragmatismo – ma non significava che fosse stupida.
    Per questo, quando si trovarono nuovamente con i piedi per terra, alzò cauta gli occhi su Phobos. Spinse la montatura degli occhiali sulla punta del naso, le mani ad allisciare le pieghe della gonna con aria nervosa e, al contempo, emozionata – il silenzio a gravare denso, simile a quello macchiato d’incenso che impregnava le chiese. Non c’era nulla di sacro lì, anzi: si trattava di un luogo profano e profanato, ma questo Idem Withpotatoes non poteva saperlo. Sentiva solamente, mentre lo sguardo fiordaliso saettava sulla botola, che c’era qualcosa che non andava. «ohh» si lasciò sfuggire, i polpastrelli ad incastrare ciocche corvine dietro le orecchie. Esplorare suonava sempre meglio in maniera ipotetica, che non applicato alle circostanze. «è un…» una botola sul suolo inglese? Sì, Idem. Si umettò le labbra, chinandosi per sfiorare con i polpastrelli lo spesso metallo nascosto sotto l’erba selvatica. «rifugio anti atomico crescendo con Seti Withpotatoes, certe cose si imparavano in fretta. A Brighton, sotto la dimora dei Withpotatoes, v’era un bunker simile – dove Nathan testava le sue creazioni più… ingombranti. Eppure, qualcosa, continuava a non tornarle – ad esempio, perché si trovasse così lontano da qualunque abitazione. «pensi che qualcuno l’abbia usato come nascondiglio per sfuggire al meteorite? ci sarà ancora qualcuno? avranno fame? NON HO PORTATO NIENTE» una nota vagamente isterica incrinò le parole della psicomaga, il tono terrorizzato di chi, impotente, osservava immagini apocalittiche dallo schermo di un televisore. Si portò le mani al viso, che raccolse a coppa con i gomiti ben puntati sulle ginocchia. «pensa,» e già iniziando così, quella sentenza non prometteva nulla di buono. «se i dinosauri avessero avuto dei bunker, non si sarebbero estinti» assottigliò le palpebre, il capo ora reclinato al tramonto che, ben presto a fine febbraio, portava via il sole. Scheming face: labbra tirate, gli occhi una fessura, il pollice sul labbro inferiore ed il pugno destro chiuso sotto il mento. «…forse, non l’hanno fatto» zanzanzaan. Neanche dovrei dirvelo che, sempre a causa della nefasta influenza di sua nonna, Idem era una fiera sostenitrice delle teorie del complotto – più improbabili erano, più una meraviglia suonavano alle sue orecchie. Poteva passare ore sui libri a ricercare basi solide dalle quali costruire nuove tour Eiffel di ipotesi; raccoglieva informazioni, ed ogni venerdì sera, a cena, enunciava le sue nuove idee riguardo la nascita della ruota o la scoperta del fuoco, quando non la sopravvivenza di Michael Jackson: era un rito, per i Withpotatoes, ascoltare fin dove la mente di Idem poteva trascinarla – lontano, molto lontano; in luoghi oscuri che voi umani non potete neanche immaginare. Si distraeva così, Idem Withpotatoes, quando il mondo conosciuto cominciava a perdere senso.
    Gli dava un senso tutto suo.
    «che facciamo?» sussurrò, lanciando occhiate vivaci da un lato all’altro della (deserta) strada, quasi aspettandosi che giungesse qualcuno ad impedirgli di proseguire nella loro nuova, entusiasmante, avventura. Forse, in fondo, avrebbe preferito. Non dico che avesse una brutta sensazione, sarebbe stato altresì assurdo per un Idem provare sentimenti del genere, ma… non era solita addentrarsi nelle case altrui senza permesso, ecco – e di qualcuno, quel bunker, doveva essere. Magari avrebbe potuto dare una pulita…? Passare una scopa, un po’ di mocio vileda, magari lasciare una mela per ringraziarli dell’ospitalità. Un fiore! Ispirata si alzò, i pugni sui fianchi e lo sguardo a guizzare alla ricerca di boccioli – e gli occhi si soffermarono su dei rossi tulipani, semplici nella loro delicata bellezza. Avvicinandosi agli steli dei fiori, serrò le palpebre e chinò rispettosamente il capo, sussurrando un paio di scuse alle foglie; quindi, allungando le dita, li strappò dal suolo. Un triste sospiro seguì quella piccola perdita, le labbra arcuate in un broncio e le iridi di un blu più intenso, il colore che assumeva il cielo poco prima dell’alba. «un sacrificio che andava fatto, sorelle» dedicò loro un rapido segno della pace e, dopo essersi sfiorata le labbra, soffiò loro un bacio.
    Risoluta si volse verso Phobos Campbell, un papavero fra le mani ed uno già incastrato sopra l’orecchio. «facciamolo.» annuì seria ed estrasse la bacchetta, pronta all’esplorazione del luogo. Sollevarono la botola («phobos PESA» «a me sembra leggerissima» «…stai spingendo???») e si affacciarono al suo interno.
    Un respiro cristallizzato nel momento stesso in cui tracimò dalla bocca dischiusa della Withpotatoes, le sopracciglia a scattare verso l’alto. Non sapeva cosa, con esattezza, si fosse aspettata da quel luogo – forse un po’ ci aveva sperato, in Michael Jackson e nei dinosauri – ma di certo non quello che si ritrovò a guardare. Un lungo corridoio si apriva sotto di loro, una scaletta nera a permettere di raggiungere il pavimento: pavimento, sì. Non nuda terra, non roccia, non caramelle che portavano all’inizio dell’arcobaleno. Era solido, opaco, linoleum. «è…» scese le scale per prima, ritrovandosi poi al centro del corridoio. Si volse in ambedue le direzioni, incapace di vedere una fine – o una svolta: parevano infiniti, e terribilmente… morti. Non vuoti, non decadenti o abbandonati: pareva proprio un organismo che avesse cessato di esistere, e che di sé avesse lasciato solamente una nuda carcassa in ottime condizioni. Così ottime, a dire il vero, da farti dubitare che fosse realmente passato a miglior vita. «siamo…» deglutì, un Lumos ad illuminare flebilmente la strada attorno a sé.
    Dillo, Idem. Sai dove siete.
    Puntò la punta d’ebano sotto il proprio mento, una luce inquietante a deformare e scavare il viso rotondo della ex Tassorosso. «IN UN UNIVERSO ALTERNATIVO?»
    Quasi, Idem. Quasi.

4.     +2    

Group
    Inferius
    Spolliciometro
    +537

Status
    i have no idea what i'm doing
    you got this -- 29 y.o. | rebel scout | hand to hand master | ex huffle, still puff #wat
    Chiuse la portiera della macchina il più delicatamente possibile, quando finalmente l’ebbe parcheggiata sul nudo suolo inglese - parcheggiata, insomma: messa lì, alla bell’e meglio, tanto non ci sarebbe stato nessuno in quel luogo lontano pronto a giudicare il suo atterraggio su quel prato deserto -, ma per quanto dolce il suo gesto potesse essere stato, la ragazza cigolò come di consueto, in una maniera così raccapricciante da farlo spaventare ed emozionare al tempo stesso: l’amava così tanto, nonostante questa pareva essere sempre più vicina alla prematura morte. Era un’auto d’epoca, Suzanne, ma non di quel tipo che venivano esibite ai più bei raduni nazionali per autovetture datate – ci aveva provato, a proporla, ma era stato malamente osservato da tutto il resto dei presenti a quell’evento. Aveva scoperto troppo tardi, sempre troppo tardi, che il regalo del ricco zio scomparso nell’etere circa un anno prima era ben più vecchio di quanto, ad una prima ma pur sempre attenta occhiata, potesse sembrare. Giorno dopo giorno, la vedeva sempre più con una ruota nella fossa, pronta ad abbandonarlo da un momento all’altro; aveva dei cedimenti, come quello dello stesso giorno, che ogni volta apparivano agli occhi di Phobos come un’inaspettata e terribile sorpresa, eppure continuava a sopravvivere. Ed era certo, totalmente certo, il Campbell, che avrebbe continuato a farlo a lungo andare – perché era quello che facevano, le cose più antiquate. Avevano soltanto bisogno di un po’ di passione e amore, di qualcuno che si prendesse cura di loro a tempo pieno - che ci fosse sempre qualcuno per loro, costantemente pronto a cercare le falle nel sistema che provocava il malfunzionamento e a ripararle, e riportarle ad una nuova magnificenza. Era successo per la Resistenza, dopo che il Governo aveva preso il Quartier Generale: pezzo per pezzo, i ribelli avevano ricominciato a ricostruire le solide basi del loro fermo credo, senza mai darsi per vinti – o almeno, Xavier non lo aveva mai osato fare. La Resistenza stessa, era il tentativo di riparare un mondo vecchio andato perduto, risistemandolo mattone sopra mattone con minuzia e devozione, come un’abitazione risalente a prima della guerra, demolita dall’uomo e dalla natura stessa, che doveva essere ristrutturata. Se con tanto ardire Phobos si era dedicato alla causa della Ribellione, quanto poteva essere difficile fare lo stesso per un’automobile?
    Ed era per gli stessi ideali, che ora si trovavano in quella radura dimenticata da Dio e dagli uomini, lui ed Idem. Non per i ribelli, non per una macchina: per l’umanità tutta. Se non fosse stato il meteorite (ma lo sarebbe stato, ne era assolutamente convinto) ad uccidere la razza umana, ci avrebbe pensato la sesta estinzione di massa che aveva preso piede negli ultimi decenni, minacciando tutti loro – ribelli, mangiamorte, babbani o maghi che fossero. Ci aveva provato, oh Dio se ci aveva provato!, negli anni addietro ad avvisare la popolazione, manifestando con gli ambientalisti per far notare quanto, quel mondo, stesse andando alla deriva: nessuno aveva mai ascoltato nessuno, ma ciò non lo aveva mai realmente avvilito – era molto difficile, che il Campbell si demoralizzasse per alcun motivo. A quel punto, avevano soltanto bisogno di un piano di riserva, un asso nella manica.
    Quel bunker, era solo un piccolo passo verso la salvezza mondiale.
    Si sistemò al fianco della Withpotatoes, le mani a pugno premute contro i fianchi e lo sguardo tronfio ad ammirare l’orizzonte. «non ne ho assolutamente idea, Idem» rispose, senza perdere il guizzo d’orgoglio ad infiammare le iridi verdi. «assolutamente nessuna» Perché, in fin dei conti, quella era solo una botola niente affatto sospetta al limitare di una radura inglese, vista dall’alto dallo scozzese in uno dei suoi casuali giri per i cieli della Gran Bretagna. Ma andiamo: quante botole a caso non si dimostrano essere rifugi anti atomici, al giorno d’oggi? «se qualcuno lo avesse usato come rifugio, probabilmente a quest’ora sarebbe messo meglio di noi in quanto rifornimenti, non preoccuparti» anzi, magari avrebbero offerto loro anche da mangiare. «pensa, se i dinosauri avessero avuto dei bunker, non si sarebbero estinti …forse, non l’hanno fatto» Phobos Xavier Campbell, dall’alto del suo quasi metro e novanta, non poté che rivolgere alla propria migliore amica il più attonito degli sguardi, di quelli che raramente rivolgeva a qualcuno – deluso, ferito, sconvolto, sinceramente ferito nell’anima da quelle insinuazioni insensate. «idem…» iniziò, le due gemme di giada a scrutare la ragazza con profondo disappunto. «non crederai davvero che i dinosauri si siano estinti»
    Perché, signori e signore, lui non ci credeva affatto. Erano attorno a loro, nella vita di tutti i giorni, ad osservarli nelle più innocue delle faccende domestiche di routine. Alcuni blog che seguiva avevano avvalorato la tesi che, al pari di un messia, essi stessero aspettando solo il momento più opportuno per rivelarsi alla razza umana, e che nel frattempo monitorassero le azioni degli uomini attraverso i loro più fedeli servitori: i piccioni. Altri credevano che un ristretto gruppo di giganti rettili avesse conquistato Atlantide, e che questa non fosse realmente affondata. Sulla scia di queste supposizioni, nel suo stesso blog il Campbell aveva proposto l’ipotesi per la quale fossero stati i dinosauri ad aver iniziato l’estinzione di massa, o ad attirare il meteorite sulla Terra - infidi, enormi bastardini: li adorava. Purtroppo pochi, tra cui certi coppola_fan_number_one, pizzalover96 e icekingXD - che sospettava essere Damian, ma non ne era certo -, sembravano appoggiare le sue idee.
    Seguì Idem per le scale, bacchetta alla mano ed un altro Lumos ad unirsi a quello della ragazza. Quel luogo, non era nemmeno lontanamente come se lo era immaginato in precedenza: aveva creduto, inizialmente, che si sarebbero ritrovati in lunghi corridoi con pareti di metallo scuro ed arrugginito, il tempo ad incidere sulle mura il segno del proprio passaggio; aveva creduto, Phobos, che avrebbero visto macchinari obsoleti ma ancora funzionanti, a suonare minacciosi lungo tutto il perimetro. «siamo… IN UN UNIVERSO ALTERNATIVO?» assottigliò le palpebre, avvicinandosi alla parete laterale, l’orecchio premuto contro il freddo marmo. «siamo sottosopra» osservò, sottovoce, cercando di carpire rumori tra gli infissi. Spoiler: non sentiva nulla. Allora, fece la cosa che ritenne più sensata. Con accademica lentezza e professionalità, il Campbell tirò fuori la lingua, dapprima reticente dei suoi stessi intenti, per leccare adagio e il più a lungo possibile il muro. «secondo le mie stime,» constatò, ripetendo l’azione. «qualcuno è arrivato qui prima di noi, non troppo tempo fa – forse un paio d’anni, forse meno» concluse, sputacchiando saliva per liberare il palato di quel terribile gusto – muffa e sporcizia a permeare le papille gustative del professore. «dico che» dovremmo andarcene, non mi piace molto questo posto «dovremmo proseguire, magari c’è davvero qualcuno - magari hanno bisogno di noi, idem!» asserì, iniziando a muoversi lungo il corridoio – notando porte sigillate mano a mano che proseguiva, diramazioni del percorso all’orizzonte scuro, rischiarato solo dalla luce delle bacchette. «ma mi raccomando, ragazza mia: la regola numero uno dei film horror» si girò di scatto, la punta del bastoncino di ciliegio rivolta all’ex tassorosso. «non dobbiamo ASSOLUTAMENTE, per alcuna ragione al mondo, dividerci».
    Le ultime parole famose di Phobos Xavier Campbell.

5.     +2    

Group
    Special Wizard
    Spolliciometro
    +381

Status
    this is a positive sign
    Si guardò attorno a labbra dischiuse e grandi occhi cerulei spalancati, le braccia a ciondolare pigre lungo i fianchi mentre osservava la peculiare costruzione nel quale s’erano calati. Gli unici rumori nel corridoio provenivano da loro, ed il solo respirare le pareva troppo assordante – parlare, poi, vi lascio immaginare. Quando Phobos, in sottile tono cospiratorio, bisbigliò un «siamo sottosopra», un brivido corse lungo la schiena della Withpotatoes facendole rizzare i peli sulla nuca.
    Il Sottosopra.
    Non sapeva cosa fosse, ma le bastava il nome, e l’espressione entusiasta del Campbell, per capire che fosse qualcosa di mistico. Lungi da lei mettere in dubbio quanto detto dall’insegnante di corpo a corpo: lui avrebbe potuto dirle qualsiasi cosa, ed Idem gli avrebbe comunque creduto sempre. Se in quel momento avesse affermato che si trovassero in Corea, sarebbe stata certa che si trovassero in Corea – abbastanza da riuscire ad udire delle persone parlare in coreano. Già il cervello preso in generale, funzionava in modo strano, ma quello della Withpotatoes sfiorava un livello di assurdità da studio antropologico. «secondo le mie stime,» osservò affascinata la pratica della leccata di muro (che vorrei dire non fosse tipiche delle loro uscite, ma…sappiamo tutti che sarebbe una menzogna.) del docente di corpo a corpo in attesa di delucidazioni: certo, aveva completa fiducia nella Leccata delle Risposte. «qualcuno è arrivato qui prima di noi, non troppo tempo fa – forse un paio d’anni, forse meno» Inspirò secca, una mano a premere sulla bocca. Chi poteva frequentare un posto del genere? Per quale motivo? Tutte domande che andavano a titillare la (troppo.) curiosa parte della Withpotatoes – quella innocente, sapete, che mai avrebbe pensato a motivi loschi dentro quelle mura.
    La stessa parte che l’avrebbe costretta a mesi di torture, e perdita della magia: spoiler.
    «dico che dovremmo proseguire, magari c’è davvero qualcuno - magari hanno bisogno di noi, idem!» L’aveva già convinta al dico che, ma l’idea che qualcuno potesse aver bisogno di lei aveva fatto breccia in quell’infinitesimale parentesi di buon senso che ancora voleva vantare d’avere. Annuì sicura, labbra strette fra loro mentre si appiattiva, neanche troppo discretamente, dietro l’amico. Non era davvero intrepida quanto le piaceva far credere – quello lo lasciava a Darden – e l’idea di quell’avventura, per quanto apparisse affascinante, le dava … una brutta sensazione. Lo stomaco chiuso in una morsa, la gola secca – quel genere di malessere lì. «forse dovremmo…» tentò, passando la lingua sul labbro superiore. «chiamare qualcuno?» alzò la testa per cercare gli occhi dell’amico, mentre proseguivano nella struttura. C’era un qualcosa di …familiare, in quelle porte. Uno strano senso di deja vu ad accelerarle il battito. «ma mi raccomando, ragazza mia: la regola numero uno dei film horror: non dobbiamo ASSOLUTAMENTE, per alcuna ragione al mondo, dividerci» Fece un cenno con il capo mostrandosi completamente d’accordo, l’ebano dei capelli a fondersi con l’oscurità intorno a loro.
    Non seppe per quanto camminarono – minuti? Ore? Più probabilmente secondi - rompendo di tanto in tanto il silenzio per canticchiare qualcosa, ma ad un certo punto qualcosa cambiò. Idem Withpotatoes si fermò di scatto, una mano sollevata per mettere a tacere Phobos, ed il capo leggermente piegato verso sinistra. «l’hai sentito anche tu?» domandò, muovendo un primo, istintivo, passo verso il suono. Uno stridio, qualcosa che grattava contro i muri.
    Un respiro veloce. «c’è qualcuno?» Un altro passo nell’oscurità, perché la Withpotatoes aveva cominciato a riconoscere il rumore - o almeno, credeva d’averlo fatto.
    Qualcuno stava piangendo. «siamo amici,» e prima di rendersene conto, aveva cominciato a muoversi più velocemente, dimentica della regola numero uno imposta dal collega ribelle: un battito di cuore, ed era con lui; quello successivo, ed era in una delle atipiche stanze scure che si affacciavano sul corridoio. «mi chiamo idem. Non vogliamo farti del male» un altro passo nel piccolo ambiente, il pugno chiuso e portato protettivo al petto. «siamo qui per aiutarti» sussurrò, nell’usuale tono pacato e confortante.
    Il rumore si fece più distinto. Ruvido.
    La porta si chiuse di scatto alle proprie spalle facendola sussultare. «phobos?» il cuore a mille, i piedi ad incespicare sul posto. «phobos, non è divertente.»
    E l’ultimo ricordo che aveva, era una mano a premerle sulla bocca mentre un ago si faceva strada nella tenera carne del collo. Volete un altro spoiler?
    Non era Phobos.

4 replies since 20/3/2017, 20:14   383 views